Pages

Friday 28 February 2014

YOUR CHARACTERS. YOUR FRIENDS.



      It is a difficult thing, having all these characters running around in one’s mind –communicating with one another, arguing with one another, loving one another, hating one another. All there hidden agendas, sometimes even hidden from us, their creators. 

      I can tell you this much: it’s lucky for me that I’m a talker. I discuss my characters, there personalities and motives, with my friends. It is also lucky that I have friends who are willing to listen.

      I had one such conversation with my cousin just today. She is not a writer, not really much of a reader either. She is, however, a human with a personality, and friends, and relationships. Every person, be they an award winning novelist or an illiterate blue-collar worker, has the gift of life experience. We are all witness to the triumphs and failings of those around us. We all see the attributes and flaws of the people we know. And we all know of relationships, be they tense and filled with hate, or affectionate and understanding.

      I had a conversation with my cousin today. My cousin is one those people I spoke of, who is willing to listen. Not only that –she is willing to give my characters real consideration, as though they are as real to her as they are to me. This is an invaluable person to have in your corner as a writer.

      We talked like a pair of gossipy teens about my characters –what they are doing, how they are involved with one another, the same as we would do if they were real people with whom we had real relationships. I spoke of my lack of understanding of some of their motives, some of their actions.

      During my conversation with my beloved cousin, I uncovered an entirely new depth to my characters. There were motives and actions and personality traits that hadn’t been present to me because I was only seeing them from my own point of view. In discussing their relationships I uncovered connections that I had created but had not been conscious of.

      You see, we only see people the way we see them. Think about it… your sister/brother/mother/father will have a very different view of your best friend than you do. Therein lies the lesson. I’m all about lessons.

      So, I implore you. If you are unsure at all, even if you’re not unsure, find someone who is willing to gossip about your characters. You will find out many interesting things you didn’t know about them.

6 comments:

  1. Great post. I've had similar experiences with friends and acquaintances who think I'm nuts when I speak about my characters like real people. But there are a few who understand, especially those who want me to create a character based on them. And the different perspectives, as you mention, can be illuminating. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm not alone. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your post, it is nice to know that I not alone with other personalities filling my head. My Mother and a work associate usually listen and help me grow my characters. I do have one unfriendly comment about your post. "Illiterate Blue-Collar Worker," really? I find that quite insulting. As I am a blue-collar worker. Don't marginalize what you truly don't know. Like myself, there are many college educated people work in blue collar fields. The physical work is often rewarding and give that person a perspective of how things work at the bottom to support the top that no white collar work could conceive. If you had just said, blue-collar worker that would have been good. Other than your Marginalizing comment, good advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if you found it offensive. That was not my intention. I myself am blue-collar. I am a single mother of three, and have worked as a farm hand for 4 years, a TA for a mechanic for two years, and recently tore my ACL while working for a bearing supply company. As a result I am currently unemployable while I wait for surgery. So, YES I truly do understand, better than you can imagine. I was actually attempting to draw opposing ends of the literary scale, to make the point that you don't need good grammar to know about people. In order to do that I had to give my imaginary illiterate some form of identity, and I know an illiterate person would still be quite capable of doing the jobs I have done in my life. I chose to say that because I chose to give my imaginary illiterate my own identity. So you see, you took offense by making assumptions about me and my past.
      Sorry again that it did offend you, but please don't marginalize me by making assumptions.

      I am glad you took the time to read my post and I'm glad you liked the rest of it.

      Delete